Sunday, April 5, 2009

Biodata

My name is Ang Shi Hui Annie and I am currently a third year undergraduate majoring in Life Sciences (Molecular and Cellular Biology) in the National University of Singapore. I will be going to the University of Toronto in the next academic semester to obtain a joint minor in Environmental Biology. Even though this opportunity came late in my university studies and I would be taking a costly step to graduate in 5 years (with all the accompanying costs of studying overseas) instead of 4, I believe that this money is well-spent as it is in a subject I am enthusiastic about.

Biology has always been my passion since my secondary school days. My interest in research is now towards evolution, ecology and biodiversity, in particular, microbial diversity. Also, I am keen on merging my research interest with my enthusiasm for green policies. An example would be researching on tailoring microorganisms for oil spill remediation or studying the impact of human intervention on a particular natural habitat. I have learnt several experimental techniques during my 3 years of laboratory sessions. I hope to brush up on laboratory skills in my honours year, especially microbiological techniques as that is my chosen honours topic.

In my free time, I volunteer with Students Care Service. I joined to help an old friend but stayed because I realized I loved children. I work with children in the centre who have issues such as hyperactivity disorders and family problems. Although they stress me out with their hyper energy and often nonsensical behavior, I continued joining the sessions as their gaiety never fail to cheer me up. Their erratic happy behaviour also reminds me of the simple joys in life and that my world did not only revolve around laboratories and lecture theatres. In addition, my other volunteer experience includes 2 overseas volunteer trips to Chiang Rai, Thailand and Yunnan, China in my secondary and junior college days respectively. All these experiences gave me a wider and more humanistic perspective to life. I see myself participating in social work in any small way no matter what my future career choice would be.

6 comments:

  1. This is a fine bio statement, Annie. Very here and now, but why not?

    Your interests are clearly stated, and quite admirable. Funny, too, that you mention you're going to the U. of Toronto. I was just talking to an American friend this weekend whose son went there this year (after growing up in Singapore). Apparently, his son loves the city and the uni. Very multicultural, very friendly, etc.

    I'm sure you will find inspiration there.

    Best of luck in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Annie,

    Interesting biodata, that clearly states your passion for biology and willing to study one more year for it. Good luck

    I sincerely think that the study abroad will help you a lot, learn new experiences, be independant and opportunity to travel. Do not forget to catch up with a Russell Peters show in Canada...lol

    You also highlight your interest in social work and this is very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Annie,
    Are you going to study a year in University of Toronto? Your decision to delay your graduation is really commendable. Personally, I do think that your overseas study would be "money well spent", especially this field is one that you are really interested in. In your biodata, you clearly expressed your future plan - which is in ecology and bio-remediation. I hope you can come up with a super bacteria that can rid the earth of all the pollution problem!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brad, Yuvraj and Terry,

    I edited my post slightly, words I changed are in pink.

    To Brad: I am a very "here and now" person, to the point I believe I am not formal enough in certain situations. Unique flawed characteristic. I hope UoT would be worth my money too! NUS has approved me for admission but UoT has not formally accepted me yet. If your friend's son is okay with it, I might like his contact details after my joint minor is confirmed.

    To Yuvraj: I go to a Russell Peters show if the tickets is not too expensive! Considering my finances, I am planning to be the quinessential poor undergraduate in Toronto. Haha! Yuvraj, ironically, I am leaving Singapore for a while and you are staying to work due to your bond. How about you replace me as a volunteer at Students Care? Hoho!

    To Terry: It is too bad I will not be doing my honours year at the same time as you. We could have plenty of stuff to share, especially about the honours project presentation. Jiayou in Singapore! There's no super microbe out there, as it will be hard to control once released. You can work on that too, you take Microbiology as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote a long one again. Conciseness is a skill I need to learn... Brad, help?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Annie,
    I think you dont really need to worry about the expenses in canada. I was told by my friend who did his SEP at alberta that the prices there was only 30 % more expensive that those in Singapore.

    For my FYP, I am not doing research in microbiology but one related to tumour biology. I treat this project as a exposure to learn the various skills require to do a proper scientific research. I do hope that my FYP will turn out well. Enjoy your trip in Canada!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on my post. I really appreciate it. Please be candid but nice!