Monday, April 13, 2009

My Last Words … for this semester!

Looking back at my short first post, I have no idea why I became a rambling writer of long posts as the semester wore on. Perhaps the tedium of my other modules pushed me to spend more and more time expressing my thoughts. I believe the reason is more likely to be because Brad is such a great teacher and I did not want to submit sub-standard work for him and my long suffering blogging buddies to read. (It was still not great in the end and people had to endure reading my never-ending posts and worse, comments.) Admittedly, I was also lazy, the extra posts that I thought I would write (and asked Brad about) never materialized.

The irony is that I decided to take this module as I wanted to learn resume and cover letter writing skills. Also, I needed to practice how to perform well in an interview. I lived a cloistered life in academia and have never experienced much of the big, bad world of job searching before. A tiny mosquito put paid to any chance I could learn the skills I originally aimed to learn. There is this sense of frustration and annoyance. However, I learnt many other lessons about communication in this module and I even learnt more about myself. Apparently, my mastery of the English language leaves much to be desired.

I also made friends in this module and realized many others share my “pain” as undergraduates. They also advised and guided me along this busy journey. There were communication lessons to be learnt as we tried to criticize each others’ work without being mean or hurtful.

I cannot say I am an effective communicator now. E.g. I need to stop freaking out during presentations. My writing skills are still not up to par. I am not professional enough in both written and verbal communication. However, I have tried my best in the assignments and that is the best I can do at this point of time.

To quote my first post, “learning to express ourselves well is a lifelong process”. I wish everyone well in their future pursuits. See you guys around in … school (wallows in misery and despair as the specter of examinations looms).

8 comments:

  1. I hope these aren't the last words I hear from you this semester. Thursday's lesson will be less satisfying if that is the case.

    Thanks for the accolades, Annie, but I have to admit something: this topic nearly feeds our educational needs by itself. Communication? Effective writing, speaking, presenting as entres plus a little active listening for dessert. I'm very much just the facilitator (or the "waiter," to keep the dining metaphor alive), and you and the others guests at a great feast.

    As for your participation, the importance of that was shown when you weren't around (hanging with the mosquito, I guess): the class seemed...quieter. And ya know what, in a communication class, silence -- whether auditory or bloggitory -- is deadening!

    It was my great pleasure to work with you this term, Annie. Damn the bug bites!

    And best of luck as you continue your learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Annie my blogging buddy!

    Finally this is coming to an end, no more blog posts to vet already..=\ I still remember you are the first person I talked to when I first stepped in the class (I was a little late looking for my way and by the time I reached, you guys were already playing ice-breaker games. You looked like someone friendly I can approach to!).

    Best wishes=)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It great to meet another person who is in the same life-science cohort as me. I think I met you during the first week of school. At that occasion, I was unaware that lessons have not started yet. Fortunately, I met you in class and you were kind enough to tell me that the lesson were only starting next week.

    From your previous blog post and comments that you made in class, I can see that you are quite confident, matured and have a clear goal of what you would like to do in future. Besides, your swift recovery from Dengue fever greatly exhibit your preservance and determination. These qualities will surely help you to be a successful researcher in future. I am sure that you will have enjoyable and enriching time in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Annie,

    I am indirectly your junior here as I am not in the same major as you. No matter what, I am happy that we met in this small classroom as you are always so confident and clear of what you are doing which makes talking to you very comforting as you will always give us( Gillian and I) little guidance about what to expect in course and even in school. You were like our big sister!

    With regards to your post, I believe nobody is perfect and everyone will have some flaws one way or another. The only difference is that some people choose to accept it as it is while some will make effort to improve and constantly upgrade. Therefore, I hope that you will continue to improve on what you think is not as good so as to better prepare you for the work force!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey everyone who commented,

    Reading your posts is like a mirror to my behaviour. Thanks! Now I sort of know where I did good and where I well, veered off the well-trodden path.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Annie,
    You are one of the classmates in the class that I get along really well. This may be due to our common Life Science background.

    I do agree with you that this module has opened my perspective and the harsh reality of job finding. It makes me cherish my time as a student now where I can make mistakes and people will just say " it is alright!"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Annie,

    Thanks for the cakes today and for being a great project mate. Wish you all the best in your future and do keep in touch.

    Cheers,
    Yuvraj

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Never believed i was ever going to be DENGUE FEVER FREE again,BABA OKADIGBO has given me reasons to be happy, i was DENGUE FEVER positive for 3 years and all the means and medicine i tried for treatment was not helpful to me, but when i came on the Internet i saw great testimony about BABA OKADIGBO on how he was able to cure someone from DENGUE FEVER, this person said great things about this man, and advice we contact him for any Disease problem that BABA OKADIGBO can be of help, well i decided to give him a try, he requested for my information which i sent to him, and he told me he was going to prepare for me a healing portion, which he wanted me to take for days, and after which i should go back to the hospital for check up, well after taking all the treatment sent to me by BABA OKADIGBO, i went back to the Hospital for check up, and now i have been confirmed DENGUE Negative, friends you can reach BABA OKADIGBO on any treatment of any Disease cos i saw many testimony of different disease like, HERPS,RABIES,ANTHRAX,PLAGUE he is the one only i can show you all up to, reach him on dr.babaokadigbo@hotmail.com quick contact him for help and you can just quicky drop your number on your first mail as i did for easily conversation.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment on my post. I really appreciate it. Please be candid but nice!